Monday, March 9, 2015

222 days! Thank God it is 222 days away!

This is for all of you young folks:  take care of yourselves!  It is so much harder as you get older.  Going from inactive to active (and I mean just taking a walk!) can be tough the older you are!  So my advice is to stay active and eat healthy!  Yes, when you are young you may be able to get away with eating a bag of potato chips or a box of cookies in one setting, do some exercise, and you may be able to shake it off...not so when you start hitting your 40s and even less when you hit your 50s!

My mom who is a breast cancer survivor has always been active and has eaten healthy, and I swear that is why she was able to beat not only that cancer but two other cancer scares as well (colon and ovarian)!  She is going to be 77 years young, and she is still going strong...biking and walking!  Wanting to follow in her footsteps and at least saving myself from the health scares she has had, I have a long way to go because I was living in denial and thinking that it will only take a little exercise!

Well, am I wrong!  Because I like good, healthy foods, I can do that but any change has to be a combination of both diet (healthy eating, since it should be long term not temporary) and exercise!  Now this is a warning!  If you are older (sorry to say, but I'm putting those of you who are in your late 30s into this category), you need to get active BUT, big BUT, don't push yourself to do one of the super energy exercise programs that are advertised on TV. At least, not until you work yourself up to it!

Pushing yourself too hard, too fast, will get you hurt and then it gets only harder to get started again!  I know what I am talking about!  I've done it! Countless times!  I actually made a mistake in taking that huge walk on my very first day!  4.5 miles may not be a lot to some, but it was too much for me.  Now I am still walking, and I will continue to walk everyday...but 4 days after I did that walk I am still having issues!  I know that at age 50, I don't have that many times where I can start and stop and start again.  So I will keep on walking, but not as fast and not as far!  I know that my strength and energy will build up, but I just wanted to share my experiences so that you can start your healthy journey with less pains along the way...at least in the beginning when motivation is so important!

If you have any suggestions, please share them!  Comment!  I don't bite (unless you start looking like an ice cream cone, then...well, stand away from me!  LOL!)

Thank you!

So I don't like pictures of me!  But I think it is important for me to be honest and real!  This is where I am now, but I am evolving, and I will continue to do monthly picks, to be accountable to me as well as all of you!





No comments:

Post a Comment